Today I’m going to show you how to delete your TurboTax account. Despite what a lot of people and sites say, it is possible to permanently close your account and get all your information removed from their system.
And the best part is that it will only take you like 2 minutes!
The only problem is that your account won’t be deactivated immediately, it will take a little bit of time, because you will have to wait for a customer service agent to read your message or answer your call, and if they don’t take your call, then you’ll have to wait for them to email or call you back with detailed instructions on how to proceed.
But actually you don’t have to wait for them to call or email you back, because if you follow the steps below, you will be provided with a phone number that you can use right away to get in touch with a TurboTax customer service representative within minutes.
Once they take your call, politely ask them to cancel your account and remove all your personal information from their system, and explain why.
However, if you don’t want to contact support because the process is too complicated and time-consuming, don’t worry, you can just log in to your account to clear all personal and financial information you have entered, and then simply abandon the site.
Also, if you are in TurboTax online and you haven’t paid or registered yet, you can clear and start over.
To clear and start over login to TurboTax Online, click on “Take me to my return”, click on “My Account” at the top right side of your screen, select “Clear and Start Over”, and then answer “Yes”. You can read a better explanation about how this process works and when it’s best to use it here.
Keep in mind that you can only clear and start over in TurboTax Online, you can’t use the mobile app to do it. However, you CAN use your mobile phone or tablet clear and start over, but you’ll have to sign in to your account and follow the steps I just outlined using your mobile web browser.
If you can’t clear and start over, or if just removing information and abandoning your account is simply not enough for you to feel comfortable, then you can follow the steps below to get your account permanently closed.
How to Permanently Delete your TurboTax Account
- First go to TurboTax’s contact support page at https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/.
- Select which product is your question about from the drop-down menu. The available options are the following: Online, Mobile App, CD / Download (Mac), CD / Download (Windows), or I don’t know.
- Then select which edition from the drop-down menu that will show up on the right after selecting which product is your question about.
- Enter “I need to delete my account permanently” in the “What do you need help with?” box.
- Click on the “Continue” button at the bottom right corner of the page.
- Now, on the next page, scroll down the page just a little bit and enter all your details such as first name, last name, email address, and additional notes in the required fields.
- Click on “Get the phone number” at the bottom right and then call TurboTax customer service at the provided phone number.
- When customer service takes your call, tell them that you really need to delete your account forever. Listen to what they have to say and then do what they tell you to do.
That’s it guys, that’s how you delete a TurboTax account. Contact us if you have problems or need help with the account cancellation process, we would be thrilled to help anyone out who really needs it.
If you found this article useful, we would really appreciate it if you gave us a Facebook like or a Google +1, or simply follow us on your favorite social network.